Sunday, March 18, 2012

¡Lunes Libro Fantástico!: WONDER by RJ Palacio

You should never judge a book by its cover, or a boy by his face. This lesson we learn in RJ Palacio's debut Middle Grade novel: WONDER.

PictureFrom the publisher: August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?


WONDER deftly explores the highest and lowest forms of human behavior in a way that is accessible to both younger (MG) audiences and older (ME!) ones. Be sure to have tissue nearby - it's not a question of whether you'll need it, but how much of it you'll need. Don't despair - not all tears are an evil. Though there are moments of great heart-break, at its core, WONDER is a celebration of kindness. Told from alternating points of view, you will come away with a well rounded picture of the wonder that is life with main character Auggie Pullman. Enjoy with all your heart!

Happy Reading and ¡Buen Provecho!

12 comments:

  1. Aloha Sheila,

    Thanks for the follow and am doing the same...sorry you missed out on St. Patrick's Day Blog O'hop.... perhaps there will be one for Cinco de Mayo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard this is good. Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is on my to-read list and I can't wait TO READ IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A book that brings me to tears? Yes please! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love tears, both happy and sad, you will love this! I read it alone so I could cry freely :)

      Delete
  5. I loved this book -- and I wasn't the only MMGMer who featured it last week either! So now we're up to at least three. YAY! So glad to hear you loved it too. Yes, there are moments that elicit tears, but there are also moments you want to stand up and cheer for Auggie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those cheering moments were the ones that made me cry the most :) I'm just a big baby lol. So glad there are lots of us featuring this book - it deserves all the recogition it can get.

      Delete
  6. I think I've seen this book featured on MMGM before. Either last week or the one before.
    Can't wait to get my hands on it. :)

    PS: I had to use this account to leave a comment because my wordpress and your blog didn't seem to want to work together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was last week - the more the better :) I hope you love it!

      Delete