Sunday, September 2, 2012

HOLA! GUTGAA Meet and Greet

Hola, dear bloggers, and bienvenidos to the Gearing Up To Get An Agent Meet & Greet! I'm excited to meet & greet old and new friends, and want to wish the best of luck to everyone during this exciting and nerve-wracking event. Without further yada yada yada....


Questions for the Meet and Greet


-Where do you write?
Depends on the time of year. Summers are best suited for late night writings while mid-mornings~early afternoons work best during the quite school-year days.

HAHA! I just noticed this said WHERE not WHEN. Chalk it up to cold medicine. WHERE I like to write is either at our communal computer desk or my comfy, leather recliner. No one is allowed in mom's chair but mom :)

-Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see?
Kleenix. Lots of kleenix, new and used. I've been sick.

-Favorite time to write?
Any time that's quite, but if I could choose, a cloudy, thundering afternoon would be nice.

-Drink of choice while writing?
1 bag Trader Joe's jasmine green tea + 1 bag Trader Joe's decaf green tea with 1 packet sweet n low. Ahhhhh. 

-When writing , do you listen to music or do you need complete silence?
I prefer the silence, but sometime a song with a strong beat keeps my energy up, just like if I were running. If I ran. Which I don't :)

-What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it?
I was inspired to write DAY OF THE NOT SO DEAD after reading about the Hero Twins in Mayan mythology (they rescued their father from the Underworld) and watching Machete with Danny Trejo. Weird combo, yes, but the best ideas are born through weirdness :) 

-What's your most valuable writing tip?
On a first draft, write without concentrating on the words so much as the idea. Bad words are better than no words.


Well, that's me :) Looking forward to hopping and meeting as many people as I can. Until the next event, may the agents be ever in you favor!

Happy meeting & greeting and ¡Buen Provecho!  

31 comments:

  1. I definitely agree about bad words being better than no words - I'm just not very good at sticking to it lol! I am an over-thinker! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome from GUTGAA!

    I hope you feel better soon! I hate writing when I'm sick. And I'll second the cloudy afternoon sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, feel better! And great advice. Enjoy GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, hello! I'm in with GUTGAA too!

    Sorry you've been sick. I love your writing advice. Someone once told me to 'spit out the story' in a first draft (pretty much the same as what you said). It gets me through every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tip! I love drafting. The thrill of building something new is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you have been sick! May the agents be in your favour indeed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your tip! and hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, blog hop neighbor. I'm right next to you at number 85! I gave you a follow. You deserve it for writing while sick.

    I'm sure I'll be seeing you around, Shiela.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sick in the summer? That's just wrong. Hope you get feeling better soon. And I agree about the cloudy, thundering afternoons. They are fantastic. Wish they happened more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooooh...hope you get better soon! Stuffed up noses are no fun at all. I'm your newest follower. Very nice to meet you!

    AA
    http://anallegedauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that advice. First draft, just write!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings!

    I'm hopping over from GUTGAA and reading all the meet & greet questions. Nice to meet you! You have a lovely blog...good luck with the contest!

    Donna L Martin
    www.donnalmartin.com
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that the source of your inspiration came from Mayan mythology and Machete, lol. Too cool. Stop by and say hello if you get the chance. I'm trying to make it easier on my fellow GUTGAANS by adding the link, lol. http://anjeasandro.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Am I right to assume that your book is about zombies? If so, yay! I'll be interested to see your work up for the GUTGAA pitch contest! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey hopping over to say hi and I hope you get better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barbara! I am feeling better, but it sure has taken its sweet time :) I'll try to find your blog so I can say hi back :)

      Delete
  16. Great point about focusing on story in that first draft. I get all distracted trying to edit as I go which really does not work so well (but it's so hard not to!). Danny Trejo is in so many action movies, he's pretty awesome.

    Good luck with your writing and with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi from GUTGAA! First: I hope you feel better! To state the obvious, being sick sucks. I love how you came up with your idea. Weird random things inspire me too. And may the agents be ever in your favor as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mara! Other than a lingering cough, me thinks I'm all better :)

      Delete
  18. Aww, hope you feel better - coughs are the worst, especially when your family are all like, "do one massive cough and then shut up!" lol

    GUTGAA sounds really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha "do one massive cough and then shut up!" - so true. :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Amy! LOL - yes, one massive cough would be nice :)

      Delete
  19. I'm late on Gatgaa but hello! Thanks for letting me come visit your blog!
    Amber a Bardan
    Website/Blog
    http://amberabardan.com/page8.html
    Twitter
    @amberabardan

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi there, pleased to meet another GUTGAA-er. :) I laughed out loud at your running comment - my views exactly. Good luck in the blogfest.
    Kat
    http://beyondthehourglassbridge.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooo your title sounds very cool. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! Almost there with feeling better status :)

      Delete
  22. Trader Joe's. I've never been to one, but heard so much about them. I'll have to stop the next time I get close to one.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Shiela!

    I remember your story from WriteOnCon, so I was super excited to see you here. It's nice to meet you!

    I love your inspiration for your DAY OF THE NOT SO DEAD... and I absolutely love the title.

    Hope you're feeling better!
    Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexandra! It's great to see you here, too :) I am feeling much better - finally. Almost normal, thank goodness :) Love Soul Mountain - will be keeping my eye on it though GUTGAA. Best of luck!

      Delete